Tuesday, January 17, 2006

what day is it?

TUESDAY! and did I get the phone Monday as I was promised? Um, no. I understand that I'm on Korean time here but I don't have a home phone either. I was supposed to have a meeting at 8:30 tonight and it's 9:13 and no one has come here--I can only assume the meeting has been cancelled and b/c I have NO PHONE, I could not be contacted.
Kate (head teacher) told me yesterday when I asked her if the director had gotten a phone for me--"Yes, you will have a brand new phone in a couple minutes." She seemed sincere and even excited. I went through the day thinking that the director would hand me the phone on my way out that night, like he does my pay envelope. When I walked out and he did not have a phone in his had I asked him in easy English if he had my phone and he said today, no. Ok. I'm patient. I go home.
This morning. Kate comes up to me and says--"today Igot phone" I said. great! she said: it is top of line, new, have mp3, camera and it is cheap. I said--that sounds perfect, you might have to teach me how ot use it. she said--yeah. and walked away.
If you are thinking she has the phone in her possession and will give it to me shortly--YOU ARE MISTAKEN--as was I.
after my first class I asked if I could charge the phone and she said, yes I could. and I said can I do that now so I can use it tonight and she said--OOOHH, NO. I buy it tonight. humph.
Onto better things--I am still studying Korean. Last night I made flashcards and went through them once--there are a lot. Tonight, I'm going to organize them into "everyday sayings," "verbs," "body parts," "adjectives," and "food." That way when I learn these, I can easily add more.
I still love how we rearranged the apt. It seems bigger somehow--even though we moved the big bed into the living area.
I quit reading Umberto Eco to read 'Tis. I hate not finishing books but the need to read the sequel outweighed the want/patience to read Eco. At the rate I'm reading it I'll be done in a few days and can go right back to Umberto. If I ever get to name a new student--that's going to be his name.
I think that was enough rambling for today.

No comments: