Friday, January 27, 2006

it's true

Last night I made a note of what I wanted to blog today. I cannot find the note. Luckily, I have noticed a few things I thought might be of interest.
First, (this requires a bit of background. we live in a one bedroom apt. we recently moved the 'big bed' into the living room to conserve on heat. we also have different sleeping schedules. I go to bed closer to 2 and wake up closer to 930/10. Beard goes to bed closer to 1 and wakes up closer to 9.) Beard and I like to torture each other. At night, while he is sleeping, getting closer to REM, I think nothing of going into the kitchen to get water, tea, a vitamin. Going to the bathroom a second time, sure. Each time I open the door out of the living/bed room (heat conservation) it rattles the sliding glass doors on the other side of the room leading to the laundry room. It's my last hour of being awake and I don't know why but I have to venture out several times. He doesn't say anything but I know he hears BECAUSE--he does the exact same thing to me in the morning. I was just thinking that morning is worse than just getting to sleep--but I think it's probably about equal. well--I guess it depends. Anyway. I know exactly what he does in the morning by how many times he opens and closes the door. (by the way--sometimes the door isn't all the way closed which then leads to a cold draft from the non-heated hallway right to the forehead) Gets up. Goes to the bathroom. Comes back in. Starts his computer. Goes to the kitchen to start boiling the water. Comes back in to check his email. Kettle boils, back to the kitchen. Back in--sans coffee (he uses a french press, one more excuse to open and shut the door b/c he wouldn't think of just bringing it in after pouring the water in) reads some news, back out to get french press and coffee cup, more reading, some snickering....and my alarm goes off. As if I needed it. The noise when the door opens and shuts is amazing. Mostly the half an hour spent in bed is in and out of consciousness again and again. Actually--I've only been up ONCE since he's been to sleep---hmmm, what do I need from the kitchen....
No, I'm not that mean and I think he's been trying to consolidate his trips since I brought it up that in one half hour period he left the room 7 times. (7)
Also, I read an editorial by Joel Stein. I agree with him for the most part but am ashamed to say so--Beard says it's the humanitarian in me.... but really, war = killing. Here's the link: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-stein24jan24,0,3682678.column?coll=la-util-op-ed
The whole pulling the trigger, morality thing is what got to me. I think of jobs I've had. If I was morally against something, would I do it? Would I take the job in the first place and RISK having to POSSIBLY do it in the future? But at the same time, we're in this war for uncertain reasons...and typing out my thoughts makes a lot of grey areas appear. So, I'll stop there about that.
Next--I had a Molson Canadian last night. It was a decent beer at home but here and half price Wednesdays at Psycho made it a SUPERB beer here. AHHHH.
That took a LONG time b/c I actually got up to find where I had written what I wanted to blog about. And HERE IT IS!!!! Pause for effect (affect, i always mess that up)
While at Psycho, we heard the song Sex Bomb by that guy we thought was dead and I turned to Beard and asked who he was thinking of and he said Jen--exactly who I was thinking of. While she was in Morocco the song was popular. We were in college and didn't listen to the radio unless it was the college station and if they let crap like THAT on there....well, we won't know b/c thankfully they didn't.
FINALLY. I have perfected the art of drying my hands with toilet paper and not having it stick. It's skillful blotting, friends. BLOTTING.
OK. Time to exit and enter the room another 5 times before going to bed. GOOD NIGHT NURSE!

No comments: