Monday, January 09, 2006

oriental medicine

I tried oriental medicine today. I messed up my knee ( I think i twisted it) on New Years and after hobbling around for a week my friend Ji Hae took me to a clinic. I was put on a warm marble bed and the pushed around on my knee while I winced. Next he took out what looked like a large tattooing device (as in it had a few needles but much bigger needles than the tattoing kind) and jammed it repeatedly into my knee causing some major discomfort but was done quickly. Next he brought out acupuncture needles--one in between my thumb and forefinger, a few in my knee, one in my calf, shin and one right near my butterfly tattoo on my foot. I sat there for a bit and a woman came in and put something on my knee--Ji Hae said "grass" but it was probably a specific kind she didn't have the words for--and proceeded to light it on fire. Ji Hae said--if it is burning you let me know. This made me very nervous--I don't like to be set on fire, go figure. As such, I kept thinking it was burning me and flinching which made the acupunture needles not feel right. The woman came back in and watched to make sure I wasn't being burnt since I kept thinking I was. I kept saying, "ok, it's really not, I'm burning. No, I'm not quite burning. Yes, I'm burning." The burning bits were taken off--I think there were five. A bit more lying still. Then the acupuncture needles were taken out and a heat pad was put on my knee. After about 10 mins of that I was told I could leave and to come back tomorrow. It cost the equivelant of 15 bucks--tomorrow's visit is 10. What's better is that my director pays half of it. I'm taking Beard tomorrow so he can check it out. I figure I'll go a few times and if it doesn't feel any better I'll try western medicine.

No comments: