Sunday, January 15, 2006

SHOPPING

Ok, so I'm not a big shopper. My mom loves to shop and perhaps she overshopped me as a child b/c shopping isn't something I do for fun usually. I like following other people around while THEY shop, but when it comes to spending, I'm a saver. BUT here in the ROK things are cheaper than at home so I don't feel guilty spending money that could be spent on something better--like beer. I really needed some more winter clothes. I am sick of the clothes I have now and it's too cold to wear the plethora of dresses I brought. "I have to dress up to teach." PAH!
I went to Daegu alone. I didn't want Beard to come with me--he hates shopping more than I do, and is always questioning everything I want to buy (as if I haven't already done that myself). Krista had to run errands in Gumi before her departure and Christa was thinking in Pohang. I actually LIKE shopping by myself, I can take my time, try everything on, put things back and pick them up again as many times as I want without anyone thinking I'm nuts. AND, not having someone there to help me justify my purchases, keeps me from spending more than I had planned.
As I was crossing under the street I found a staionary store and was in there much longer than I needed to be. I wanted to buy notecards to help with the Korean learning. I found those right away but spent quite some time wandering around. I ended up buying a couple little notebooks that I might use instead of the notecards--I haven't quite decided yet. I bought more pencils for the girls--these have Korean drums hanging where the erasers usually are. I also remembered it was Diary Day where couple buy diaries or planners for each other. (thank you Jen for that article). I had wondered why there were so many planners on display. I found one for Beard that says Are the apples ripe enough to eat yet? At the checkout they gave me a free pocket calendar--service.
Next, I went to my favorite clothing store--Giordano Outlet-- and stayed in there for about 45 minutes probably. No one else was in there and for once the employee wasn't hounding me. She hung out in the back. The only thing she "said" to me was about the changing room. "Said" b/c she motioned instead of speaking. I had forgotten all about trying things on (see--I don't shop often). I had several items and she didn't ask how many or put a card on my door like they do at home so they know if you're trying to steal something. I bought quite a lot by my standards. Two long sleeve t-shirts (one says world without strangers), a big yellow hoody, and a small blue zip-up hoody and a pair of khakis. Then I went to a store that sells funny shirts and got one for kath that says 'she comes in colors everywhere' (HA) and one for maybe me if it fits or also for kath that says i feel good and has metal stars on it. It'll be nice to be back in the US where I'm a medium person again instead of extra-largey.
I had burger king for lunch--I was craving fries. Then I headed to Kyobo to see if they had 'Tis. As I was coming up the escalator I noticed a bright orange jacket and there was Devon. We talked for a while about books we had read and he helped me use the computer to see if they had 'Tis. THEY DID!! and he even printed out a little map so I could find it easily. It was 12,000 won (aish) but it's worth it. I hate waiting to read sequels. I hate waiting in general but that's for another day.
After leaving Devon I headed to the station, I was tired of walking around and carrying my heavy ass bag. Since I don't have a cell phone (til TOMORROW--I'm very excited) I called Beard from a pay phone and he was near the station too so I met him, Jason, and Greg outside. They had been bike shopping all day. Beard might just be buying one next week. Greg's going to give him lessons so I'm not as nervous. We bought tickets and beer and...
CHRIST!! When did I become the person who's late all the time?! I'm totally blaming this one on Beard. We have 1/2 an hour to be somewhere (involving taxi taking) and he's just now in the shower and we haven't eaten...and yet Im' STILL typing. Huh.

No comments: