Monday, January 23, 2006

the weekend

Ahhh Monday morning...Krista is just now getting on the plane to Bangkok (lucky!) and we're sitting on the bed. Beard's studying for this license test--Americans have to take the written exam while Canadians only have to take the physical test which involves an eye and exam and squatting--he failed the first time and is going back tomorrow morning.
This weekend was fun. Friday night I went out with the teachers from my school and our director. We had raw fish and lots of ginseng soju. The raw fish comes with tons of sides dishes--seaweed, cabbage salad, soup, egg, cucumber salad, shrimp, and mackerel. For dessert--fish head soup. After eating I was trying to leave so I could go see Krista and Christa, but lots paper rock scissors and went to the nori bang--karaoke room--for a half hour instead. The director sang first and then we took turns. I really need more alcohol to feel comfortable singing but I did it anyway. I was told my song was too slow and to pick a faster one next time. I can't do that b/c I don't really know any of the songs they had that are faster. Anyhoo--I left at 10:40 and the science teacher took me to a taxi. I'm not sure if she did this b/c she was being nice and didn't want me to walk down alone or if she didn't think I could get a taxi by myself. I think the latter b/c she proceeded to tell the taxi where to take me even though I had told her in Korean exactly where I was going. Oh well.
Got to the Christas' and talked for a bit before heading to Waegook. Met up with Beard and everyone else there. Beard and I were planning on leaving early b/c I had to teach in the morning and he was going to Daegu to get his bike. Luckily, everyone else was going to Daegu for the night and then taking a train to the ice festival in the morning. Take away temptation and we actually do what we plan! I left at 12:30 and came home and tossed and turned for a while before falling asleep. I think Beard got home around 2. We both woke up at 8. That's pretty good.
Tobby called at 9:15 saying she was in my apartment, meaning she was outside waiting for me. I helped her by "teaching" at a tae kwon do gym. All I had to do was repeat what she said and then give the kids a mini quiz for about 15 mins and hand out candy to the kids who got the right answers. At the end I handed out candy to every one. The quiz consisted of me saying, "I'm thinking of something that grows on a tree. It's sweet and red." The kids start bouncing up and down and raising their hands, I call on one and if she/he gets it right, she/he gets a chocolate. In total I "taught" for 25 mins.
Came back home and made plans with Krista and Christa to meet down town at 2. I go early to get a haircut beforehand. This is my second haircut in Korea. The first one was ok but kinda looked like a lopsided mullet. It looked ok when I put it behind my ears. This one is MUCH better. The woman commented on my "baby head" again, but didn't feel the need to remind me that Korea has 4 seasons (really? no way!).
I left there and messaged Christa that I was going to the funny t-shirt shop, Magic Power. On the way I found a nice rainbow sweater for 5,000 won. Good deal! Found them and we all needed food so walked into nearest pizza/pasta place--il pasto. Krista and I ordered the potato pizza, Christa got the cajun chicken. I thought both were great. They had stayed in Daegu dancing til around 430 and got back into Gumi around 5 or so.
We picked up Krista's friend Katie who lives near Suwon and walked back to Doryang 2 dong. Beard called around 8, on the way home his bike got a flat tire so they ended up having to walk it back into town. We met him over at Greg's after eating chicken. Then we all went to Waegook again. Beard left around 130, he had to get up to go skiing with Daeyoung, Krista and Katie left around 2ish. Shab distracted me and I ended up going to Psycho with her and Justin. I hung out with a middle aged GI who was raised in Jamaica. Nice guy. Beard called at 5, he was getting up and noticed I wasn't there. I got home as it was getting light out and went directly to the gimbop place so I would have something to eat when I woke up. Instead of just getting a regular gimbop, I ordered a cheesuh gimbop--regular gimbop with cheese. Got home and it REEKED of gas. I called Beard to figure out what was up and while talking ot him threw all of his clothing he had worn to Daegu into the other room.
Woke up when Christa called at 1:30 asking if I was coming over. I pulled myself out of bed and drank half of hte diet coke I had bought the night before (smart girl, I am) while wolfing down the cheese gimbop. I told her to give me a little bit and laid back down. I realized that if I laid there any longer I wouldn't be getting back up so I turned on the water and took a shower. As I was getting dressed, I got a message saying Krista's train left at 2:25, not 4ish so they were heading to the train station to change tickets--it was 2:26. I met them there and we went to Dunkin Donuts (surprise). Krista was heading to Incheon and would get on a plane for Bangkok the next morning (today). It was sad to see her go. She'll be back in Korea in April though.
Christa and I then went to Lotte Mart for some hungover shopping. Lotte Mart was packed as usual. Lotte mart is 4 floors of fun. Or maybe not fun, depending. The first floor is grocery, makeup, and clothes. Second floor, more clothes. Third floor, restaurants stationary, electronics, Fourth floor, I'm not sure. Three was enough.
Came home and the apt STILL smelled like gas. I searched and couldn't find the cause. Beard came home and looked all around too. Then he found it--the plastic bag his bike lock came in. He promptly took that to the dumpster and made dinner.
And now...time for lunch!

No comments: