Sunday, April 09, 2006

sunday evening--just getting going

I love it when things are easy. Last night while I was IMing with Leah and Nicole (finally) our lightbulb burnt out. I didn't remember till about 20 mins ago when it started getting dark and I wanted to turn on the light. I assumed my local mart wouldn't have florescent bulbs but was mistaken. I walked in w/ my bulb, held it up to the lady and asked--issoyo? and she said neh. mind you I go to this mart everyday. sometimes twice a day. most times I wander aimlessly around just browsing before I buy my bottle of beer and I have NEVER seen the bulbs. ever. But there they were--in a box on the floor. super.
came home and with a minimal amount of frustration got the light to turn on. SUCCESS!
Beard has the Korea cold--again. Both of us have had more colds while here than anywhere else. I keep thinking it's b/c we're both teachers and kids are contagious all the time. And we live together so we're bound to pass it back and forth. He's at a sauna now trying to sweat it out.
Teaching's going great. This week flew by and that usually means my classes were responsive and well behaved. Even though I've taught most of these kids for 6 months, they still ask me the same quesions. How old are you, are you married, do you have a boyfriend, where are you from, when will you get married, do you like Korea, is your boyfriend in korea, where does he live, why aren't you married, do you have kids, when will you have kids, why don't you want kids, where is your mother, do you have any brothers or sisters, what do you like, do you like san gip sal (korean bacon), do you like gimbop?
They are always amazed that I'm not married and I don't want kids. (teacher, you no like family?) I explained to one class that I might adopt when I'm old. Then I had to explain adoption using mostly hand gestures and saying "other woman baby, I can't, me take baby".That's perfect Konglish for you folks. They understood after repeating it a few times and I saw one girl write 'adopt' in her book.
In another class I was teaching body parts. I wrote a different body part on post its and gave 2 to teach pair of students. They had to stick the body part on their partner. Then I went around and checked and had them say the name of the body part. Everyone switched post its a few times then they had to find the person that had the same body part post it. When they found that person they got a piece of candy. It was a lot of fun. To demonstrate I had two trouble makers come up and I put post its all over them. Then had them put them on each other, they kept falling off, everyone was laughing. It was fun.
Friday night we hung out in Shinpyeong w/ the Brits. When we got there they were playing a somewhat confusing drinking game. So much for having 2 beers...I had to leave earlier than Beard and after I got home there was a knock on the door and I assumed it was Beard not wanting to find his key so I opened it and there was a man sitting on the steps outside and I said hello (in korean) and he said hello and continuted to talk and I said hanguk mal molayo (I dont know korean) and he kept talking. It was pretty late and I wanted to go to bed so I said goodbye, closed and double locked the door and changed into pjs. After anohter 15 mins anohter knock on the door. This time I thought it had to be Beard and I said hello (in english) and there was a hello so I opened the door again. It was the same guy sitting on the steps. I said goodbye again and same locking procedure. Then I called Beard and told him what happened and he came home. Of course by that time the dude had left. I told my Korean friend about it the next day and she said he was probably just drunk and wanted to say hi to the waegook. That's fine but he didnt have to do it in a crazy stalker fashion.
It is true though, drunk men like to talk to us. And usually it's fine but I was alone this time.
It made me think why I assumed the worst. Probably b/c of growing up in america and being constantly bombarded by the news of horrible things happening. and being a woman and taught that all men are potential rapists.
Everything was fine and will continue to be fine. Lesson: don't open the door late at night unless you know for sure who it is--or you want to be freaked out.
Time for dinner.

No comments: