Tuesday, April 11, 2006

car accident

It was bound to happen really. No one was hurt. A bit stiff today but that's it.
My friends Eungyung and Angie (Eunminm, i think) were leaving Lotte mart to go to Angie's and have a couple beers and watch tv. We were at what I call a 3-way go--a T intersection with only yellow lights. Euyngyung waited and then pulled out and I don't think the guy even hit the brakes. As soon as she pulled out I knew we'd be hit. I even had time to grab the oh shit handle. He hit us on the driver's side--Euygyung couldn't open her door til he moved. Angie was in the back, I was in the passenger's seat--with seat belt.
I stayed in the car while Angie and Eungyung called the insurance guy, apparently theres no need to call the cops, and talked with the other driver. Really, I was afraid of getting hit again. People weren't even slowing down to go around us. What was odd is that 3 mins after it happened 3 tow trucks (hi cars) showed up. No one called them. And while we were waiting for the insurance guy, an ambulance came--also not called.
The insurance guy came and estimated that it was 70% Eungyung's fault and 30% the other guy's fault. What I thought was mighty odd is that it was Eungyung's insurance guy who determined who was at fault--his client. There was a lot of standing around. Of course I couldn't help or anything. First--don't speak the language. Second--not sure how things work around here. I've heard before of people who are in accidents and have to pay even though it wasn't their fault b/c the person who hit them was older.
At home, it would have been Eungyung's fault. She was making a left turn. However, there was no stop sign, no traffic signal. The yellow lights weren't even blinking.
Euygyung just started driving--even though she's 28. She felt really bad. The first time we were at Lotte mart together she forgot to turn on her lights and had to get a jump, now this time she gets hit. I kept saying this happens all the time. People get into accidents and I've heard the accident rate is much higher in Korea.
We ended up going to Angies and drinking beer and eating mondu and chicken. We met one of Eungyung's high school friends for a beer at 3am and I got home at 4. Angie called her friend and he said that if any of us went to the hospital the other guy would have to pay for it. I thought that was kid of odd too.
Today was a good day, besides the stiff muscles. I went to the gym at 11 and paid for 3 more months. Bought egg sandwiches for us at Zam and came home. Beard has another cold. He cancelled his morning class tomorrow. Zam is a great little restaurant. Egg sandwiches for a buck--fresh juice, kiwi, strawberry, etc for 1.50 and it's on the way home from the gym!
To recap--everyone's fine, beard might go to the dr tomorrow, zam is good.

No comments: