Tuesday, February 07, 2006

nothing much

This weekend we stayed in Gumi. Friday night we met the new English teacher, Bryan. I think having him around may have our friends opting to call Beard, Beard. Bryan's from Canada and living with Greg. Seems like a nice guy. Ended up going to Psycho and later on to the SBar--our first time. We were the only people there and after one pitcher, the dude behind the counter was motioning toward the door so we left. We got in the cab and it was after 5--where does the time go?!
Saturday we woke up late--1:20. Sat around for a while and went to Home Plus with Christa while Beard had a lesson on his bike. I didn't want to be around for it. I would have to watch and it would just make me nervous. I needed new glasses but realizing how cheap they were--and how super she looked in a pair--Christa bought a pair too. She has "distorted vision" things are taller than they are. So when she puts on her glasses, everything shrinks. wow. And I thought seeing one and a half was weird. My new glasses are much more adult than my last ones and are half rim-less. I'm still getting used to them. They sit higher on my nose so when I look down, the lens isn't there.
Sunday we ran around town with Mr. Pak and ended up going out to eat with him, his wife, and Christa. We had "kitchen knife noodle soup" but this time it was Ghengis Khan style. First we were served pahjun (seafood pancake) and mandu (dumplings) and onions and kimchi (of course). Then a metal bowl with mushrooms, water and greens was set on the big burner in the middle. Then 2 large plates of thinly sliced uncooked meat and a bowl of rice and veggies and a bowl of kitchen knife noodles. The burner was turned on and the water was boiling in no time. Now comes the Khan style--the meat slices are held in the boiling water with chopsticks to cook--it cooks extremely fast--and are eaten right out of water. I opted out of the meat but ate the mushrooms and onions. When all the meat is cooked, the noodles are put in the broth and then served--delicious. When all of the soup is gone, the rice and veggies are cooked in the bowl for dessert. A very good meal.
Monday was typical except instead of my school feeling like the inside of a freezer for the first 2 classes, it felt like it all day b/c the heater was making weird noises and NOT pumping out heat. It had snowed the night before and in my first class a girl came in carrying a plastic bag full of snow balls and asking me--"teacher, what?" "Those are snowballs." "Oh. Snowman?" "You can make a snowman out of snowballs." Oh. Good!" She starts taking out the snow. "I think you should do that outside." "Oh, ok...Teacher, outside, what?" I point out the window. She runs out of the room.
Today is Tuesday and almost over. Beard and I are going to watch some newly acquired Family Guy and go to bed.
Happy birthday, Anita.
Mom, I hope to talk to you tomorrow morning (tonight to you).

No comments: